we sat on a bench in arizona
discussing art and the sweater you bought me years earlier
i thought it was a thrift store find
you thought otherwise
your eyes reminded me of strong coffee
waking us up in the morning
after a long night of talking
with feverish limbs cuddling
there were shadows in the arizona sun
and we caught site of our other selves
living a life in an alternate universe
my hair was shorter and you were long gone
I noticed
you didn't seem to care
but I asked you (I needed to know)
what year do you think it is?
"2006" you replied.
neither of us realized the size of the lie
"this isn't real" I said.
we were really watching ourselves in real time
"We are the alternate reality!"
That is when you grabbed my wrist
turning it until it pulsated
you cried and I held you there
on that bench in the hot arizona sun
knowing we were watching from
the advantage point of potential fulfill.
No comments:
Post a Comment